Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Fair Housing

 As real estate agents, I am required to take a fair housing class every so often. Today just happens to be the day. The class is commonly the most boring of the classes we have to take, as it goes through the history of how certain groups of folks weren't treated well many years ago. Then, the required curriculum implies that as real estate professionals, we still don't know how to be professional and kind, and therefore, here is what we are to do: treat everyone the same. 

I get it, there are folks in my profession who don't know the Golden Rule. But it doesn't matter if they sell homes or not: they would be who they are. The difference is the government has set up fines for those who are accused of selling and renting homes and not judging every applicant the same way. 

A long time ago, I did a lot of business in Birmingham AL. Though I didn't see the folks I was talking to, I was often accused of being a racist. Generally, the unfounded claims were based on the fact I had three applicants for the same house. One had a recent eviction and no means of income. One had an open bankruptcy and two pet king cobras. One had spectacular credit, a great job, no pets and long-term ties to the area. The last one would get the house. The other two would cry to the Heavens it was discrimination. One time someone pulled that card and I told him, "I don't know what you look like or what religion you are. I do know you are rude and if you are this much of a pain now, I can only imagine what kind of drama I'm due for if I rent to you for the next year." It isn't illegal to say no to potential tenants who are just plain nasty. 

All that aside, I once had a billable chat with my attorney about a rare situation. She made a few bucks. I left our conversation with a pit in my stomach. You see, I had a rental home in Leeds, Alabama--the most bigoted, backwards place in all the South. I was made aware that a high-ranking member of the KKK lived next door. And I have to say, after meeting the monster, I truly believe it. 

Every time the home in Leeds came vacant, the phone rang off the hook. Many of the calls I got for this place were from folks who were probably not white (I didn't ask). However, I did not in good conscious think I could rent the house to someone of color. In this case, it was a matter of safety. I'd already had my home vandalized (several times) because I was a woman owner. And by the way, I was told when it happened, that was the reason. So, how would I in good conscious rent to a family that wasn't like these idiots? Would I be liable if there was an incident? What if a child got hurt? Even if I wasn't liable, I'm not sure I could live with myself knowing this about this neighborhood and agreed to let someone move in that might be vulnerable. 

In the end, my attorney assured me the neighborhood spoke for itself. I needn't worry. Nobody who didn't fit into the neighborhood wanted to live there anyway. She was right. It was never "officially" an issue. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment