Wednesday, August 31, 2022

My Studio Apartment

When I was tasked with buying our Texarkana house, there were circumstances. 

1. We had a firm, four week deadline. 

2. There were five houses on the market that fit our criteria. Even with one functioning shower, this was the best of the bunch. 

3. There were few rentals, none of which fit my criteria (plus we have a bankruptcy, cat and dog--none of which are music to a landlord's ears.). 

4. I didn't know the Texarkana neighborhoods as well as I wanted to. 

So, I played it safe. We got the house on Arizona Avenue in Wake Village. I do not regret this decision. My family doesn't either. The house is cozy, yet bigger than anything Marty and I grew up in--combined. The house is smaller than what the kids grew up in, but they have repeatedly told me they don't mind the change. The house is easy to clean, mostly uncluttered and homey. 

However, there are elements of this house that just don't work for me. And I mean only for me. I have four adults living under one roof and one primary living space. Therefore, Buckaroo's gaming desk, Polly's piano and Marty's TV are all in a small communal space. This leaves me to read, write, sew and watch baseball in the bedroom until 10 p.m. when Marty wants to retire for the night. Polly and Buck are still up, doing their activities. My choices are go to sleep at 10 (sigh) or sit in the great room with Buck talking to his pals and shooting things and Polly practicing singing. It doesn't make for good creativity for me. 

Don't get me wrong, I want my children to be who they are. I embrace that. Nor do I want Buck to move his desk into his bedroom. I do better being relegated to the bedroom than he would. 

In addition to all that, the paint on the main walls is dark and sunlight seems to bypass my windows. I miss sunlight. Having the interior lights on in the middle of the day is such a weird experience coming from the desert. Also, our biggest window is fogged over. I will eventually get it replaced. It's on the list. 

This backsplash is on two walls. 

My kitchen has a weird brown disco-looking backsplash. Mr. Tony is replacing that in November. It was the soonest he could work me in. Chris, my painter, will probably paint the interior in December. It depends on my budget. We also need a roof. But, it is more like we need to start thinking about replacing the roof. We knew it when we bought the house. 

And, if I'm being perfectly honest, I would like new flooring because the kitchen tile is cracked. Additionally, gutters would be great and a new garage door that doesn't moan when I press the button is probably somewhere in the future plans. All that said, this was still the best house for the buck when we bought. We knew we'd be putting in a bathtub and an air conditioner (both have been done). 

However, it is getting depressing living in my bedroom all the time. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment