Thursday, September 1, 2022

The Quest for an Extra Room

Marty is aware I am frustrated living in the bedroom 24/7. His solution was to buy me a she-shed. Though it is sweet, it is totally impractical. There are few places to put it in the back yard where I could get electrical hook-up (the shed would have to have air conditioning). We looked at sheds/workshops this last weekend that would afford me enough space for me to refinish furniture, sew and write. Honestly, I can't justify the price tag for something that will not return the value when we sell the house. So, no. 

Another idea that has been bandied about is getting new bedroom furniture to make the bedroom feel a bit bigger. I don't find this solution that wonderful either. I like my bedroom furniture. It took me 17 years of marriage to actually own a dresser, I'm leery about sacrificing what I have now for furniture that makes my room bigger. Because I'M STILL IN THE BEDROOM.

Of course, Polly and Buck won't be with us too much longer, but we are still probably talking a year or two out. Polly is taking a full course load. As much as she would love to move out, she wants to finish her education more. We all agree Buck just isn't ready. I'd rather have stable adults in the world than anxious young adults who feel pressured to leave because Mom wants a place to sew. 

I've thrown out the idea to Marty of buying a bigger house. I just want one more room where I can sit that isn't the bedroom. As of this week, we are five years out of bankruptcy, so I believe we qualify for a conventional loan. If we sold Arizona Avenue and used our equity we'd still have a small mortgage. Or, we could rent out Arizona Avenue and use the rent to pay the mortgage on the new house. But then again, ask me what I think of being a landlord. Either way, Marty and I aren't excited about having a mortgage at today's current interest rates. Plus, I don't want a new house badly enough that it might put me in a position where I have to go back to work. Right now, me being home (even in my &^%%*@ bedroom) is better for my family than me working--though I wouldn't mind getting a part-time job. 

The solution as Marty and I have looked at everything we can think of, is to wait. We are still open to a bigger home--but it has to be the right home. Because I worked at the ol'e brokerage, I still seem to have MLS access--which someday someone will figure out and take away from me. Once in a while I look up houses just to see if I want to upgrade. So far, nothing is speaking to me. Though I'm anxious to get out of the bedroom, I am not willing to make a rash decision.  

No comments:

Post a Comment