Monday, September 12, 2022

The Token Catholic

I got my second invitation to the Church of Christ prayer group. This group is hosted by Deb, who is also the leader of the Coronas (a group of ladies who get together every few weeks and play cards or board games). From what I can tell, only a few Coronas attend the Church of Christ prayer group, but most of the Coronas are from the Church of Christ, if that makes sense. 

Anyway, I had such a great time at the last Church of Christ prayer group meeting last July, that I came back. Once again, everyone there was warm and welcoming. I remembered several names and managed to find the home school mom in the room (we can always find each other). It was obvious I wasn't one of the Church of Christ members, as they hadn't seen me at that Sunday's service, but nobody suggested it was a problem, including Deb, who invited me. 

And then we began our spiritual discussion. 

Last time, I said a few heart-felt platitudes on my turn. It was last July and that was a tough time in the Sunshine house. Being there then was uplifting. Not knowing these ladies, I certainly didn't want to share our personal struggles. This time the conversation was more centered around the Church of Christ's specific teachings and I am not an expert on their brand of religion. Therefore, I didn't even offer half a platitude. 

All was going well in this discussion until one older woman started bashing the Catholic church. I mean, what she said was absolutely correct: the leaders of the church have often done things that are not in the name of God. I think we all can agree with that (this also goes for other religions as well, but those sects weren't called out). However, the woman didn't stop there. She had her own version of world history that I could not verify. Nor, did I want to ask questions and make this a personal conversation in front of 35 strangers. So, I listened politely and took some mental notes so I could do my own research at a later date. At one point, I caught Deb's mortified eye and gave her a smile, letting her know, I was good. I could see my Southern hostess in her relax. 

I wasn't offended by this woman's words. To each her own. She obviously doesn't know the Catholic faith. And I obviously don't know the Church of Christ's dogma. 

And here is the totally, awesomist cool part. There ended up being an after-party to the Church of Christ prayer group. Deb invited me to stay for a bit (she wanted to clear the air, though I promised I was fine). The only other two ladies who were there who are also part of the Coronas also hung around--wanting to make sure I wasn't offended (the Coronas know I'm Catholic). The four of us chatted for a couple of hours about this, that, and everything else. And we laughed. 

I love laughing. I need to do it more often. 

Plus, one of the women point-blank, asked Deb when the next Corona get-together was happening. Deb looked at me and said, "You free Friday?" 

YES I AM!!! So, it looks like I've got another play date with the Coronas--which is like winning the social lottery for me. Plus--PLUS--I'm now part of the Corona text thread. Oh my goodness. I found a little bit of belonging. 

Though I'm lacking intimate local one-on-one friends at this time, I feel much better about my social life right now. 

And thank you so much to the dear folks back home who make a point of reaching out. You have no idea how much that means to me. I love you all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment