Monday, March 26, 2018

Breaking Out the Good Stuff

Don't Judge Me
The home that will never sell(TM) is scheduled to close tomorrow. If we all get that far.

Today, the buyers and their agent walked through the home--as they are allowed to, per the contract--only to find out the air conditioner flipped out this past weekend and decided to go on strike.

My sellers are saying the entire scenario is questionable (the word they used was "hinkey"). The buyers are saying sabotage and SEE THE AC'S REALLY DIDN'T WORK ALL ALONG!!! Which, isn't true. The buyer's agent is asking if I have amaretto and if I am willing to share.

I do and I am not.

This is not the worst drama I have had right before closing. On the very first listing I ever got, the garage caught fire five days before closing. That is my benchmark for true closing drama. So, an air conditioner going rogue isn't the end of the world.

Of course, the trick is who is going to pay for this repair. The answer is simple: the seller owns the home. The seller agreed to have the home in the same condition as the day the contract was first accepted. The home is not in that condition. The repair is somewhat simple: a $400 part that someone needs to order and pay for. Unfortunately, my sellers really didn't agree with this assessment and guess who the messenger of this news happens to be? My clients are also wondering why I am not exactly on their side on this one. I am on their side. But they agreed to this in the purchase contract, whether I am on their side or not. 

Additionally, the sellers are not trusting the buyer's air conditioning guy. But of course, the seller's AC guy is apparently on vacation and is backpacking through Antarctica as we speak and there is no word from the carrier pigeon that was sent with this unfortunate news. And, in case the other agent and I haven't mentioned this 437 times to our clients: WE ARE SCHEDULED TO CLOSE TOMORROW.

In the end, as it stands now, my sellers are going to not hold up closing, avoiding potential ugliness and just use the buyer's AC guy. They will begrudgingly pay for the repair (which they would have had to pay for even if this house wasn't in escrow--because it is broken). And hopefully, when all is said and done, this house will be the home that will sell(TM).


No comments:

Post a Comment