Thursday, March 29, 2018

Incompetence

I waited all morning for my closing packet Wednesday. By the way, "closing packet" is a nice way of saying commission check and a few other pieces of paper, all of which are important. However, it was the commission check I really wanted.

Around 2 p.m. I called the escrow company who was to messenger over my closing packet that morning. I was informed they delivered my paperwork at 10:32 a.m. and I should check with someone in my office. When I explained "my office" is the room in my basement she didn't seem too deterred. Instead, she blamed me for giving her the wrong address. Because, of course I would do that.

It turns out the escrow company sent the closing packet to some random business two miles away from my basement. The random business does not have my name, company name or my personal name, which did not seem to deter the courier. Nobody at the random business bothered to tell him he was at the wrong place. Instead, they took the envelope and just put it aside, assuming someone would figure something out.

What seems to perplex me is that the escrow company blamed me for the mishap. The escrow manager, when I escalated this mess (before we figured out where my check was), said, "Oops. I guess you should have given the correct address." When I assured her that not only was I confident I knew my address and also it was clearly printed on my letterhead, which was sitting on her desk at that very moment, she didn't seem phased. In fact, nobody over there was the least bit bothered they sent my check to perfect strangers.

This had a happy ending for me. I have my check. In the spirit of Opening Day Baseball and Easter, I am practicing letting go today, I am going to forgive the escrow company. But I am sure going to tell every real estate agent I know which company did this so they can decide if they want to take a chance their commission check might go to the wrong office.



No comments:

Post a Comment