Monday, March 5, 2018

Hiring a Puppet Master

I have a client who wants a commercial building. Last time we were in this situation, I referred her to a friend of mine who handles such things. However, nothing came of the sale and they parted ways. The client then hired some snake oil salesman, who helped her find a residential home--something she didn't really want, but now has. It does my ego good when she tells me working with me has been nothing of the nightmare of working with snake oil guy.

But now she wants to buy a commercial building. I still know enough about commercial real estate to be a danger to both of us. So, I have a call into my friend, the commercial agent. I need his help. I cannot do this alone. I am not sure he is going to want to dip his big toe back in with my client. (Frankly, I am not sure my client wants to work with him.) But I am hoping I can convince him to work with me--just be the puppet master. Tell me what to do. I can take direction pretty well. All he has to do is lead me in the right direction. That said, I am also hoping just splitting the (potential) commission with him 50/50 will be enough for his mentorship.

Hopefully he will say yes. I don't have a plan B if he says no.

No comments:

Post a Comment