Sunday, August 5, 2018

Flying Away

A couple of years ago, my kids went to school for about six months. It was hard on them. It was harder on the family. I struggled with the idea because I was in a tough place with the business flittering off into the ether and not really having a plan of what to do next.

When the whole "school thing" came to a screeching halt six months later it was kind of a relief. One of those reasons I was happy about it (other than not having to wake up so damn early every day) was that I had a purpose again. Those were vulnerable times for me, not gonna lie. With my identity of business owner and homeschool mom removed, I didn't know what to do with myself. Between the two, I missed homeschool mom a heck of a lot more. Fortunately, so did the kids.

Sadly, I am sort of here again. This time, Polly isn't coming back. She is starting her senior year of high school as a college student. She has done this before, but this time, she is taking it on with much more purpose and maturity. Frankly, it is easier to classify her on as a high school student because we can keep her on our insurance. Once she is officially in college, then there is the whole "full time" student thing we have to contend with. Or, I have to get her labeled as disabled, because at this time, Polly cannot handle four classes at once. The health insurance is necessary too, because she has a chronic condition that requires (expensive) medication until who knows when.

In addition to the fact she won't be homeschooled again, she reminds me in her words and deeds that she is almost 18. Now Polly and I have a great relationship. But she speaks her mind at times when she probably shouldn't. I guarantee I did the same thing at her age.

I am proud of her. My baby has blossomed with a beautiful spirit. I can't complain.

But Buckaroo is also leaving me part-time. His schedule is such that I am not sure how much schooling we can really get into our homeschool day. He is taking a pretty intensive program, requiring a lot of physical and mental preparation. There is extensive studying and understanding. Part of me feels like he should have (and he could have) waited one more year. Technically he is expected to be a Junior to do this program. Just as Polly is currently a perpetual Senior, Buck just skipped a grade on paper so that he could be in this program.

Buck also has a ton of other activities and no driver's license, so for the moment we will be spending a lot of time together. When will I have time to be a real estate agent? No idea. That's fine too. I see myself driving to golf, guitar, more golf, wrestling, krav maga, chemistry class, and more golf, plus other weekly appointments and his actual school each week. This leaves little time for algebra and reading. But he will be getting all the Science he ever hoped to have out of the way. Plus, I will get at least car time with my son. Just for a little bit longer.






No comments:

Post a Comment