Friday, August 31, 2018

Humpty's Last Fall

Humpty had a radio show and a few enemies. Apparently.

So Polly has wanted a big-time, blow out party for as long as she has known her buddy Nikki. Nikki's mother, who just happens to be Polly's former girl scout leader, also throws amazing blow out parties. They are theme-based and no detail is spared. I know this, because I have gone to several: Candyland, Monster High, Mardi Gras, Movie Night (which includes canisters of film and a concession stand, as well as theater seating in front of the garage--the movie screen) and several more I just can't think of in the past ten years. Generally at these parties there are about 50-100 people and everything from the food, to the wardrobes of the family members to the water bottles are themed. Everything. And, even though Nikki's mom is brilliant (BRILLIANT!!) at this kind of thing, I am not.

I have been putting this whole big-birthday bash request thing aside for a few years for a myriad of reasons, including it was a big scary undertaking and I just didn't know how. And finally, Polly went to Nikki's mom and cried, "Help my clueless mom please!!!" And thus, a party was born, with the details taking up most of my spare time this past month.

Anyway, Polly had a Sweet 18 party. Nobody RSVP'd, but I had a good idea who all was coming. In the end, we had about 30 folks (of the 40 I was expecting). Most were family and Polly's friends, with a few surprises thrown in. Most were in costume or variations of costume (I wore an apron as the "baker") and we solved the heinous murder of Who Killed Humpty Dumpty. And I have to tell you, I had a blast!

Because there were characters, my brothers were slated for roles. The older of the two was Old King Cole. All week he was telling me how he ruled his kingdom ("Those who disobey will go to the dungeon and listen to Yani") He had a one-up-man-ship contest with the King of Hearts, played by Buckaroo ("Yes, I see anyone can get a title these days..." OKC said to the KoH. "Apparently so, Your Heiney." KoH quipped). Then they retired to the House of Cards (the room decorated for the King and Queen of Hearts) and listened to the Fiddler's Three playlist and shared Old King Cole's bubble pipe.

My other brother was Rumpelstiltskin who was busy looking for gold and trading the guests for whatever he could find. Polly was the lead detective, C.A. Taper, the Candlestick Maker. Oh yes, my New York, Italian, sister-in-law was Queen Grimhilde who just happened to be the queen who killed Snow White. ("You give away one poison apple and you get a bad rep forever. What is wrong with you people??"). QG also happened to be the murderer but tried to blame it on the Candlestick Maker.

We had two White Rabbits. Two Miss Muffets, both who played their roles differently. Two Jack and the Beanstalks and Two Red Riding Hoods, one who turned into a Goth Bo Peep, because our original Bo Peep was called into work and couldn't make the party. There was an Alice, Old McDonald, The Old Woman, A Blind Mouse, and her little sister, Fairy Princess. Fairy Princess and The King's Man (my 5 year old nephew) got a long pretty well and now have a tentative play date next time nephew is over. Even my dad came as Rapunzel. There were others as well, but I am still recovering so I don't remember off hand. I am told it was a fun party. Buck tells me he doesn't ever want a costume murder-mystery party, which I am totally ok with.

Some photos of the party props. The weird egg thing is from Miss Muffet, who just happened to be Humpty's biggest fan. She made an action figure.














No comments:

Post a Comment