Monday, October 22, 2018

Brett

It is Monday afternoon. I still haven't reached Dee--and I can't imagine she will be thrilled with my news. I am not happy to give it to her. Of course, Dee is one of those awesome types who doesn't blame the messenger/real estate agent because she has a slight mess. I am grateful for that. You would be astonished at the number of folks who would hold me personally responsible for what I am about to write. 

Brett was my termite guy go-to for years. Actually, he was my home inspector's go-to for years. A super nice guy, he owned his own pest control company. About three years ago, on Christmas Eve, his wife was involved in a tragic and freak accident which changed his world. Now the sole parent to his 3 and 6 year old, he started outsourcing his work. He hired a staff and stayed home to raise his kids. He still owned the company, but it was apparent to him he needed to be Daddy right then and there. 

In the past few years I spoke with him once in a while, including last July when Dee had the home she was buying treated by Brett's company and they missed one side of the house. Brett took care of everything as cheerfully for me as he had for the past 15 years. A week later, he had a tragic and freak accident and his babies--now 9 and 6--are orphans. 

One of Brett's in-laws, who lives in Texas and apparently knows the value of pest control companies in the greater Phoenix metro area, turned down two "low" offers that I am told were right in line with the going market for purchasing pest control companies. Word got around that this relative was taking over and nobody from this point forward has any interest in buying his company. Which brings me to this question: what is the pest control company truly worth? He worked out of his house and had some letterhead, chemicals and employees who have since moved on. 

So, Dee, and the myriad of other customers who had termite warranties from Brett are out of luck. And that really stinks, because Dee has termites at the house she just purchased. Plus she is out of town and doesn't know her termite guy is no longer in business. Today I called the State and asked a few questions, like what is a customer who has a warranty for pest control when the company closes its doors supposed to do. Wayne the Bureaucrat put me on hold twice and then gave me the name of Brett's insurance company. No phone number. No contact info. Just a name. He said, "good luck!" and hung up as quickly as he could. 

All of the above will need to be explained to Dee. This isn't my job to do this. But I have the info and Dee needs her house treated, so I did it. I suspect what will happen is Dee has to pay out of pocket for her home to be treated--just like all the other customers who had termite warranties with Brett. 

No comments:

Post a Comment