Saturday, October 12, 2019

National Buckaroo Day


Seventeen years ago, Buckaroo made his grand entrance. I have been laughing ever since. Polly is the soul who taught me about love. Buckaroo is the one who taught me to laugh and not take the world so seriously. My dear son has a quick wit and a fun sense of humor. Additionally, he could not have been a better compliment to his sister, who desperately needed a sibling. They are the best of friends.

Buck has a strong sense of propriety. His moral compass does not waiver. He doesn't like liars, theives and those who purposely do harm. I am not surprised that he feels called to serve others, but as a mother, I wish he would pick something safer to do with his life. But then again, I can't think of anyone I would rather have as a first responder.

Incidentally, Buckaroo got his name from the Rodney Atkins song, "Watching You," which he sang over and over when he was 4. He even named his beloved toy zebra Buckaroo, which has never been the least bit confusing whatsoever to have two Buckaroos in the same home.

Nope.

Never.

Here are a few Buckaroo-isms.

  • "Now then, what I'm about to tell you, I would prefer you chose to think of it only as amusing..."
  • When he was four-ish, he ran past me with his hands behind his back and up the stairs calling, "I don't have anything behind my back, Mommy!" (He had a jar of peanut butter).
  • Recently there was a very loud crash upstairs that shook the house. I heard some cursing and then he called down to me, "It was the cat! And could you not come upstairs for about an hour please?"
  • One time, while in the office, he walked by holding the drill. He looked at me, grabbed the door knob and stated, "Just go ahead and lock this door until I'm done."
  • "Mom, right now you are kookoo for Cocoa Puffs. I will take care of everything."
  • "Mom, I am so grateful to you, I could even write you a thank you note."
  • "Girls only want one thing: boys and gossip. Plus they can't hold an intellectual conversation."
  • "All Neil Diamond songs are about some girl who rocked his world."
  • "What's the difference between a train wreck and a hot mess?"
  • And my personal favorite: "16 year old girls are not ready to date."
  • The runner up, "Redheads are nothing but trouble. Except Aunt Tori. She's cool." 







No comments:

Post a Comment