Monday, January 20, 2020

Greener Pastures

We sat down with the teens last week and discussed the future. Marty is back to wanting to leave the Valley as soon as possible. Polly is on board*. Buck, who has another year and a half of fire fighting school, is on board once he is done. Though it was pointed out to him that other parts of the world have fire fighting schools.

Honestly, I am sort of done with the entire Marty-looking-for-a-job-somewhere-else ordeal and just wish Marty could figure this out and tell me if I am packing. And if so, could we not move to a town with alligators, please?

There are many reasons to leave: we are paying more for basic car insurance than the value of the Flinstone mobile. Housing prices are astronomical. Traffic here and Los Angeles are the same. Honestly, I can't tell the difference--except (dare I say), the drivers in LA are politer. Polly can't breathe very well. The heat. And a myriad of other reasons too numerous for this patch of cyber space.

There are reasons to stay too. Our fathers are in their 80s. I have serious concerns about leaving my dad. He sleeps a lot right now and he isn't driving very much. Plus, we own our house. Moving anywhere else means housing issues with a bankruptcy that will "officially" be a year old next month. We are established here. I have friends and family I love and cherish. Granted I will still love and cherish them if I move but then I will also miss them. I like connection.

Thus far, on this latest adventure, Marty has only talked with the kids about their buy-in. He hasn't broken out the ol'e Indeed account and dusted off the resume. So, at this point, it is just talk. That said, I want Marty to figure out what will make him happy. I think he deserves to explore this. He has done this for me. It is time to return the favor.



*To be fair, I half expect if we get around to actually doing this, the kids will be old enough and established enough they will stay, but that's just a theory.

No comments:

Post a Comment