Tuesday, January 21, 2020

My Business Model

I have a new buyer. She is a referral from a friend, whom has never used me as her agent. When I talked to this new buyer, she asked why she never heard of my brokerage. I gave her my spiel:

"We are a boutique brokerage. We pick and choose our clients and only work with a select number of clients at a time and don't take on more than we can handle. Think of it like the exclusive restaurants in Beverly Hills. There is no sign on the place, six tables inside and you have to make reservations six months in advance."

Though it sounds like bunk--and trust me, I am the queen of bunk--there is some truth to it. "We" do pick and choose my clients. I am too seasoned in this business to take on toxic people. I don't take on more clients than I can handle. My max is six, and that will still drive me ragged. I once closed nine homes in one month, my family didn't see me for weeks and when they did, I was in a fetal position, cowering in the corner.

I do have a sign at my home, announcing I am a real estate brokerage. It is outside by the front door. It is required by the Arizona Department of Real Estate. But, with the exception of a Facebook page that someone else offered to design for me, I have zero Web presence. I am ok with that. It won't take my clients six months in advance to get an appointment with me, but I am fine passing off folks I don't have time for to other agents I know and trust.

My small brokerage does just fine with this model. I am not a Max/Re, or a 21st Century company. I don't want to be. I have low overhead and high sanity. That's the way I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment