Sunday, February 9, 2020

Adventures in Teaching

A few interesting things happened Friday.

First, I took a real estate instructor class on how to use Power Point. A lot has changed since my Power Point heyday in 1996. Now, Power Point can do all sorts of nifty tricks. The class made my head hurt, but with a little time and patience, perhaps I too can have a dazzling presentation. Perhaps. 

Second, Beth sat next to me in the class and presented me with my very first pay check for the one class I have taught for her. It is apparent I won't make as much teaching as I do selling, but the trade off is (presumably) keeping my sanity. So, there's that. 

Third, the head of my local realtor Association was in this class and said something along the lines of,  "I did not know you are an instructor!?" After all, she sees me all the time (like at last week's Grievance Committee meeting and the Professional Development meeting two weeks ago) and it has never come up. An hour later--while she and I were sitting in class--her assistant had e-mailed me an application to teach at the Association with a note saying she is looking forward to my audition. This is what I wanted, but I am not sure after ONLY TEACHING ONE CLASS I am ready for a full, in depth interview/audition. But, perhaps in a few months I will feel better about it. In the meantime, the offer is on the table. 

Fourth, the reason I was in this class in the first place was because Marie. Marie runs the most highly reputable real estate school around. I want to teach at Marie's school. Kaye, Beth and all the cool kids teach for her. Marie is known for being very discerning and selective. I first met Marie last spring through Kaye. I called her a few weeks later and inquired about teaching. Marie politely and immediately shut me down and didn't give me much hope. 

Anyway, Marie and I have crossed paths a few times, generally with me as the student and her as the instructor. Jane and I sat in her two day class last November and, looking back, I am sure we made quite a pair in the front row. I then ran across Marie at another instructor class last December. 

In January, Marie--who still runs the most highly reputable real estate school around--sent an e-mail to her instructors and me, mentioning there was a class she thought all of us might be interested in. Both Kaye and Beth noticed I was the only one on Marie's distribution who doesn't teach for her. But, she had the presence of mind to include me anyway. I am working really hard not to read much into that.

Really. 

As much as I would love to take this as an invitation to approach Marie again about teaching for her, I am no more ready for her than I am for my local Association. But I will be hopefully after a few more classes under my belt. And then I will also have an awesome Power Point presentation to go with my instruction. 

No comments:

Post a Comment