Thursday, February 18, 2021

Hopefully It Won't be Difficult to Prune that Tree

So, my brother's friend John called me. He is (still) thisclose to being ready to list. 

You may remember him? He and I met last September. At the time I showed him comps, explained that he is in a retirement area (Sun City) and timing was important. Selling season was from September to February, so make haste. Clean up the place, put the vanity back in the bathroom, remove all of his mother's worldly belongings (or don't) and replace the stretch of carpet in the living room where the bathroom water had leaked and he had ripped out the flooring. That's it. 

Don't paint. 

Don't replace the appliances.  

Don't put in new toilets. 

Don't put in new cabinetry. 

Don't dillydally.  

Don't find extra unnecessary projects. 

To recap: I told him last September, just clean up the mess. Put the vanity back. Put in $300 worth of flooring. 

The place would have sold in a week. 


Fast forward to the middle of February the following year. John called me. He is almost ready. He has done a lot to this place and he is so excited. 

He painted the interior and exterior. 

He replaced the appliances.

He put in new toilets. At one point he said it took four days to replace the two potties. Then three breaths later, he said it took two weeks. 

He put in new everything. 

He dillied and he dallied. 

He has found tons of unnecessary projects.  

He did a bunch of this and that and he even ripped up all up all the carpeting throughout the home--but left the the padding for the new buyer. He expected to be ready to list the place in another week after he prunes a random tree. And by the way, he is expecting a more than full price offer because that's what he hears is possible (in non-retirement areas where sellers have flooring).  

When I explained to him flooring was kind of important, he cut me off and told me if I wanted to "invest" in his house, I could pay for the new flooring. No can do. I was trying to be gentle in my explanation and instead of taking no for an answer, John argued with me! Other agents do this, he said. Yes they do. And once an month I see these agents' names in a grievance complaint. 

We left the call with John saying he'd call me. I don't know what that means. Will he call tomorrow? Next week or next year? Or, will he call at all? 

No comments:

Post a Comment