Monday, June 14, 2021

Last Minute Drama

The week before closing is kind of a no-man's land around the Sunshine house. Everyone is on edge when the phone rings, wondering if it will be good news or news that requires Mom to sit by herself, beer in hand and breathe heavily before calling her client with an update that will make everyone's head explode. This past week has been no exception.

Currently, my listing is supposed to close today. Last week I found out there were a few hiccups and it doesn't appear that will be the case. The lender (I represent the seller) has been reaching out to me. I have continued to ask for updates and she's been relatively transparent--given she started by explaining her screw-up. She's answering questions. She is apologizing for the lunacy.  

The buyer's agent has also been reaching out to me. He is currently trying to get my client to sign an addendum moving the close of escrow date a week. I'm not having any of that. Of course the seller will agree to a slight change of plans and whatever that looks like it will be. But asking for a week!? 

When the buyer's agent asked why I said, "We don't need to string this along. Your lender says you need two days, not seven. Which is it?" Not to brag, my I think the buyer's agent is afraid of me. 

"I just want to be sure..." He replied. I want to be sure too. And I'm sure if this is strung out for a week, nobody on the buying side will feel the need to make this happen sooner. This is their fire drill, let them act like its a fire drill.  

Using my Big Girl Designated Broker Voice (tm) I said, "I am sure your client wants the house. So, let's make it two days." 

For the seller's part, they are not happy. Fortunately, I have thick skin and my hearing isn't as good as it used to be. That comes in handy when the yelling starts, which it did.  

I know for a fact the sellers will extend this a week or even two if necessary, but it isn't necessary. What IS necessary is for the loan officer to do her job, the buyers to do whatever it is they need to do and the buyer's agent to send me an addendum for a Wednesday (or sooner) close. 

No comments:

Post a Comment