Thursday, December 2, 2021

Decisions

 A friend who had spent many years overseas once told me that when they moved back to the US, they spent as much emotional energy on buying a minivan as they did buying a toaster. 

As I stood in Lowes today, looking at the rows of appliances, I thought of my friend. All the washers and dryers looked alike. Would the LG hold up better cleaning Buckaroo's stinky socks? Would the Maytag's delicate cycle be gentle enough to handle Polly's dresses? Did I need new fangled technology or would the traditional model work just as well? And let's talk about freezers and refrigerators while we're at it! 

Bliz, who was kind enough to come with me on this trip, watched my head explode right in front of the stove display. She offered no opinion, and probably was secretly recording the entire thing so that someday I will be Youtube famous. 

I feel like all I have done for the past week is make decisions. What to pack. What to throw out. Who to call for help. Where to live. What to buy. When to sign. Every decision has the same weight. There is more of this kind of thing to come. I am honestly overwhelmed. Today the mover's representative hung up on me when I asked her to call back next Monday because I just did not know what I needed and when. It wasn't her turn for a decision. I was still suck on what color of white I wanted my dryer to be. By the way, in the end I didn't buy any appliances, which means I will be back at the store tomorrow for round two. 


No comments:

Post a Comment