Monday, December 6, 2021

Texarkana First Impressions

I made it back from my Texarkana trip with a a bit more confidence about this move. We have a house that will work for us. It has some imperfections (no linen closet--which will be remedied after we move in) and it has many pluses--including it was for sale. That isn't something one finds very often these days. There were five offers, ours was chosen. 

We also now have appliances, which were bought on Friday afternoon after dragging Bliz, once again, back to Home Depot and Lowes. By the way, Texarkana has a Home Depot and a Lowes. Also by the way, the sales folks at Home Depot and Lowes were concerned I was moving there from California. Read what you want into that.

Texarkana also has alligators. I saw one on Saturday. It was in the water, I was up on a bluff, overlooking the lake, eating a sandwich after dropping Bliz off at the airport. 

The airport is all the way across town (to the East) from my new house: 8 miles. 

The lake where the alligator lives is also across town (this time to the North): 8 miles. 

The Mexican food is meh--at least at the place Bliz and I went. There seems to be a few places to chose from. 

The city of Texarkana offers a much slower pace. I was able to turn left in heavy traffic without endangering my life. In fact, "heavy traffic" means three cars on the highway. Drivers are courteous on the road, everyone takes turns and not once was there a car on my bumper. I wouldn't swear to it, but it might be a law there to wave to other drivers as they pass each other through the traffic circles. There was no litter or graffiti that I saw--something that seems to be running rampant here in Mesa. They don't have a Costco, but they have a Sam's Club. They also have the world's smallest Hobby Lobby. 

Oh yes! In the four days I was driving around I used up a third of a tank of gas. When I went to fill up the rental car, the gas price was $2.79 a gallon. 


No comments:

Post a Comment