Wednesday, December 8, 2021

My Day with Dad

In addition to trying to pack up my house, coordinate 2 zillion things and say good bye to lots of folks, I've been on Dad-sitting duty for the past two days. I don't mind Dad-sitting, but the necessity came at a really bad time. And before someone asks, I would like to clarify: Squirrel and I have tried bringing in others to Dad-sit. I doesn't go well. 

Yesterday I took Dad to the Phoenix Genealogical Society meeting in downtown Phoenix. Dad doesn't drive any more and hadn't made a meeting since May. Before that he hadn't missed a meeting in five years. 

When I went to pick him up I noticed he was wearing long pants and his dress sandals. His hair was sorta-combed and he was hoping I wouldn't notice he didn't have his cane as he walked out the door (I noticed). He was complete with a binder full of notes. When we arrived, he asked me to pull up to the curb instead of parking the handicapper spot, lest his peeps saw him in that kind of compromising position.   

Turns out Dad is kind of a demigod with this gang. I knew he'd completed my family history back to the 1500s but I had no idea how well regarded he was among the genealogical-types. 

Dad walked in to people shouting his name. Think Norm from Cheers, but with senior-citizen family historians. He took his rightful place in the front middle and introduced me as, "This is my daughter. She's moving to Texas," which then became my name for the rest of the meeting.  

Dad was chatty--chatty for Dad--and reminisced with two women about a few interesting tid-bits that I wasn't aware. Such as my father did construction work at the sanitarium in Fairfield or Pitsfield VT--I missed that part. I was too busy watching Dad be social (My brother called me a liar when I reported this). When it came time to vote on next month's topic (haunted cemeteries along Route 66 or haunted hotels along Route 66), he had an opinion (it was unanimous--cemeteries). 

Squirrel and I were a bit concerned how tired he would be after the meeting, but Dad did well. I'm guessing he went home and slept the rest of the day. Squirrel took the late afternoon/evening shift so I'm sure I will get a report eventually. 

As for me, I had a blast learning a bit more about my father and our family history. I was also pleased he remembered I was moving to Texas, because last week, he'd completely forgotten. Today we have breakfast and a doctor's appointment. That won't be nearly as fun for Dad or me. But I'm happy to do it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment