Saturday, November 5, 2022

I Didn't Sign up for Tornadoes

Val, my sewing teacher, sent me a text Friday night. I'd just come back from walking to City Hall paying my water bill. It had been sprinkling on and off. The sky had been gray but whatever, it's November. Plus, I was talking on the phone to a dear friend, and wasn't really paying attention to my surroundings. 

Anyway, Val's text said that I needed to prepare. Please make sure my phone is fully charged, my windows in my car and home are completely secure and I have a "safe place" to shelter if it is necessary. However, she didn't exactly explain that last part. She also mentioned, I want to unplug my sewing machine, television and computers. And then, without further explanation, she wished me luck.  

Friday's thunderstorm was epic. I've lived through my fair share of monsoons, but nothing like what I experienced here in Texarkana. Before Friday night, I'd been in been in one tornado in my life. And after Friday night, I think I've still been in one tornado. I know we had winds--did we ever! But they were "straight-line" winds, from what I understand, means just as strong and could carry a cow, but the winds weren't swirling. 

Polly, our weather nerd, kept Marty and I apprised of the situation, following the wind in real time on a radar program she found. If she hadn't been doing so, the alerts we were getting every 5 minutes also would have done the trick. Plus, Facebook has a great Texarkana community that was also letting the masses know what was going on.  

We didn't shelter in place, but a couple of times I did edge to the laundry room in anticipation. Although, it should be said, none of us felt the need to hang out near windows. By the time Buck got home from work, the storm had passed, but the power was out. It stayed out for 12 hours. That was the extent of drama. However, Marty is wary the tornadoes, plus the critters is going to make me move back to Arizona.  

Here are some of the pictures. The biggest tornado hit three states. That "biggie" was about 18 miles from my house. The closest one was five miles from my house. 




See the strip of five tornadoes on the right? The top two are the closest to my home. 





No comments:

Post a Comment