Monday, March 4, 2024

Day Off

Tomorrow is Super Tuesday. I'm not working at the church of Christ. This is a whole different location, with a different crew. And it is the busiest location in Bowie County. My co-judge, Ms. Ellen is amazing, wonderful and I am honored to have worked with her in the last election. However, Friday she was rushed to the hospital. So, now I'm working with my boss, Ritchie, a Bowie County Elections official. 

I happen to like Ritchie, but I don't want to work with him at the busiest voting station in Bowie County (Why, Ritchie did you assign clueless me here when there are 24 little churches around the county which won't be nearly as busy). The good news is I'm working with someone with more experience than me. Last week I was the "expert" when Kara left on her family emergency. 

Today to get ready for tomorrow's marathon, I've packed an extra set of clothes. You see, disabled folks have the option of "curbside" voting, where we take the machine to them. They don't have to get out of their car. It is supposed to storm tomorrow. All day. Those voters won't get wet.  

I've also made a batch of chicken enchiladas for my crew. We can't leave during the day, so last week Ms. Ellen and I arranged a potluck for tomorrow. One of our clerks is making her "cowboy soup." I asked what went into it. Here's what she said (hold on:): "I start with two cans of chicken noodle soup, I add two cans of Wolf Chili without beans, then I add a can of Veg-All and a can of potatoes..." and then I tuned out. We have two clerks who are under the age of 20 who will also be there. One is bringing chips and salsa. The other I've worked with before and I'll be thrilled if she just has a ride home. So, I'm happy to feed her. Now that Ritchie, a confirmed bachelor is my other judge, I'm getting the impression I'm feeding everyone. 

In addition to all that, I've set my three alarms for 4:00 a.m., 4:02 a.m. and 4:03 a.m.

Later today I have to set up the equipment at the voting station. Originally Ms. Ellen was helping me. I'm not sure who is doing it now. Fortunately, it's Buckaroo's day off. 

Today's other tasks included, washing the dog, deep-cleaning the kitchen and folding laundry, in case you were interested. I'm pretty sure you weren't, but I thought I'd throw it in there anyway. 

Here's to Democracy Republicacy in action.  

2 comments:

  1. We're not a Democracy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. But it flows better than "Republicacy in action."

    ReplyDelete