Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Just a Day in Texas

Free samples galore!
For months the young adults have been asking for me to take them to the Sweet Shop. They heard about my tour of this chocolate factory months ago and it has been on their bucket list ever since. At first, I figured it was just one of those things--sure, they want to go. After all, we are talking about young adults with jobs, lives and other hobbies that have nothing to do with their mother. 

However, my master gardener friend, Maria, has a daughter who is on spring break and also wanted to go. So, I told Polly  and Buck, if they were serious, take the day off and we'd trek the 70+ miles to go check out the chocolate factory. 

The 80,000 factory
 is behind that wall. 

And, much to my delight, they did just that.

When they were little, I loved Polly and Buck field trips. We'd sometimes have breakfast at the zoo, lunch at the Science Museum, or an afternoon hike at Usury Park and talk about Arizona. Some time during every hike, Buck would manage to get a piece of cholla in his shoe. Plus, one time they ran past a cranky rattler and didn't notice. When I caught up to Polly she said, "I thought that was a bird." But all that said, I miss those days. Good times. 

Sweet Shop Exterior

Our tour was wonderful. Polly, who is all into weather, wanted to know where the tornado shelters were in the building. As a baker, she also had a hyper-focused interest in the decorative process, as all these chocolates are hand decorated.  Buck, who is all into planning and logistics, wanted to know about the process of shipping out millions of pieces of chocolate every month. When the tour ended, the fine folks gave us as many free pieces of chocolate as we wanted. 

Afterwards, the five of us found Mount Pleasant Burgers--which has to be the best burger joint in East Texas. Then, we drove to New Boston, where I hopped out of the minivan and gave the keys to Buck and Polly. Buck had "plans" on his day off and had no desire to go on the next leg of our trip. Polly, when she discovered what Master Gardener Maria and I had in store, begged off, saying she needed to floss her teeth, check on the dog, or do anything else instead of coming with us. 

This picture doesn't do the joint justice.
I recommend clicking on the link. 

Then--and I assure you this was SO COOL!!!--Master Gardener Maria, her 11 year old hostage daughter and I went to my happy place. And frankly, this is now Maria's new happy place. Squee! The Little Country Green House, a plant utopia for those of us who like to look at plants. 

An hour and a half after entering this plant nursery I texted Marty, saying I spent less at Little Country Greenhouse than I did at the Sweet Shop and please acknowledge me for my greatness. Marty obliged. 

I came home with Phlox, Hosta, peppers, more peppers, a hummingbird plant, two dahlias, lupine and about three other plants I couldn't live with out. Oh yes! I also bought radish seeds and fire ant killer. Master Gardener Maria bought five shrubs, a daylily, and four other plants she couldn't live without. 

As my children grow up, I really do cherish these outings more and more. Buck wants to make a run to the Little Rock Zoo in the next month or two. I'm in. Maybe I can convince him to stop by a plant nursery or the Hot Springs Botanical Gardens on the way back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment