Monday, March 25, 2024

Hanging Out With People Who Play with Plants

On Saturday, I went to a Homestead Conference put on by Wood County Master Gardeners. Let me help you unpack that sentence. Here are the takeaways: 1. There are several of us crazies in East Texas who play with plants. 2. We are willing to drive two hours to Quitman, Texas to hang out with each other. 3. We can talk for HOURS about plants. 

There were five of us from the Bowie County Master Gardeners who made the drive (or in my case, the ride) to Quitman High School to learn about (among other things) seed preservation, container gardening, hügelkultur, herbs and Maple, the fainting goat.   

The big-city girl in me didn't consider until Saturday that high schools in rural parts of Texas (or anywhere) might have Agriculture classes. But they do. And let's face it, until my Peoplechow recipe is perfected, you want our young folks learning about agriculture. Anyway, the Homestead Conference was held in several agriculture classrooms. 

A sign in a classroom in Quitman, TX

After the conference, we Bowie County folks, took a few minutes moments a spell long while and went to the local botanical garden. They walked around while I rested my foot. And by the way, I HATE this walking boot. Incidentally, a word of warning: If you go to any garden with someone who likes plants, be prepared to be there a long while. This was the view from my bench. Eventually my friends found me again.   





No comments:

Post a Comment