Sunday, March 3, 2024

Playing with Dirt

Before one can play with plants, one must play with dirt. 

Yesterday, the weather and my time finally cooperated enough to put together this flower bed. Before it was a flower bed, it was just lawn and a frost-bitten oleander bush. I cannot confirm nor deny I might have covered up the sprinkler. I guess I will find out once I activate them again. 

I planted Texas Bluebonnets (which are lupines), daisies, zinnias and sunflowers. In an effort to impede the critters who like to eat flower seeds, I also put down copious amounts of cayenne pepper under that mulch. 

Next week I'll probably plant a few actual plants to go along with the seeds. 

By the way, in the morning, we watch the cardinals, blue jays, whippoorwills, siskins, chickadees and goldfinches eat their breakfast. We've seen an acrobatic squirrel or two attempt to help themselves to birdseed on occasion. I also have a hummingbird feeder, but it isn't currently out. 






No comments:

Post a Comment