Monday, May 7, 2018

Diamond Jim

Diamond Jim's home is going on the market. So, I hear. The sign post has been ordered. I am not putting it active until he moves out. This is my rule, and his family is being respectful of it. But it makes sense too. Nobody can predict what will happen if a would-be buyer comes to the door with Diamond Jim living there. First, he may not remember his home is for sale. Or, he may think (as he has in the past) that I own the home and I am kicking him out and give a potential buyer an earful on that.

Sadly, Diamond Jim is not doing well, physically, emotionally or financially. I worry about him. Even though he doesn't live too far away, getting over to see him isn't as easy as it should be. He sleeps a lot lately. He wears down quickly when I go to see him. And the list goes on. However, I DO need to see him tomorrow--and it is on my calendar--to bring over my real estate sign. I will also probably bring over some groceries.

The game plan is that Diamond Jim is moving into assistive care at the end of the week. Last time this was the game plan he balked at the last second and made everyone who was involved lives a living hell. This time, he initiated the move, so hopefully he is more willing. But that remains to be seen. Either way, he has to move, because his son just found out Diamond Jim has forgotten to pay his mortgage for the past several months.

It is difficult to watch my friend wear down. Once vibrant, he has a dull look in his eyes. A proud man, but now beaten by aging, though he doesn't like to admit it. The biggest shock to me is that he used to be impeccably dressed and groomed at all times. I had never seen him in anything--even visiting him at home--where his hair wasn't cut and combed, his slacks (never jeans!) were pressed and he always wore a long-sleeve button-up shirt. Always. Even in the heat of the summer. But that isn't my Diamond Jim now. For him, he is doing his level best to publicly act like the man he was three years ago. Unfortunately, his level best isn't fooling any one.

No comments:

Post a Comment