Friday, January 11, 2019

My Way

Last Saturday I met with Liam and Inga. Last summer they dumped me and hired someone to sell their home. It didn't go too well. This past week we met and I pretty much told them (in ultra-polite, professional words), that in order to sell their home, we will do this my way. Given they already had a bad experience with an agent they bossed around, they were willing to listen.

First, there will be a lock box on the home. Buyer's agents aren't going to roll the dice and work around the seller's schedule.

Second, Inga (who lives in the home, as Liam has moved out) needs to go make herself a nest at the local Starbucks when there is a showing. In fact, the more she is at the local Starbucks means she has more showings. That is a happy problem. But more importantly, she is not to follow potential buyers around the home and try to sell the place on her own. The buyers can see for themselves there is a closet and a dishwasher. If they are confused, they can ask their agent.

Third, they will clean up the property. It isn't dirty. It is not ready to put on the market. And, once it goes on the market, the beds are made, the counters are clean and the towels are fluffed in the dryer every day in anticipation for a showing.

And fourth--this was the biggie--we aren't overpricing the house. It is not worth $20,000 extra because there is an above ground pool. Don't believe me? Ask the appraiser I called today, just to make sure (I was hoping for a few bucks, but no). We will price the house aggressively so that it sells.

The entire process took three hours. Inga asked how she could keep from stressing. "You need to concentrate on here and now, not the possibilities of what could happen," was my answer. In the end, Inga has a lot to do to get ready to put it on the market. I have already ordered a sign post and hope to have my "coming soon" sign up in the next day or so. I also have my graphic artist working on my marketing pieces. In addition, I am looking for real estate tours to get this house some exposure. The floor plan is quirky and it is going to need a bit of extra effort to get this one sold.

No comments:

Post a Comment