Sunday, March 3, 2019

Frustration

One of the reasons I did not invite Jane to join me when I opened up the brokerage was I did not feel like I could sufficiently train her and coach her into being the agent she wanted to be. I had tried this when we both worked for El Jefe, and the results were marginal. After 44+ years of friendship, it was safe to say there was no way I could hold her accountable. After all, nobody is a profit in their own home.

But, when I left El Jefe, I did look for a place for Jane to go. And hence, I introduced her to Mrs. Hufflepuff. It has been a great match for both of them. They are friends and their talents compliment each other. In the year Jane has been at Mrs. Hufflepuff's brokerage, she has bloomed. She is also now in charge of paperwork for various agents, so she is doing some value-added work (for which she is compensated). Plus she is held accountable as a sales agent and has been given a lot of formal training that I would not have been able to provide her.

Jane recently--without any mentoring from Mrs. H., found a listing. I personally was super-proud of her. It is a big deal when one gets that first client who isn't a family or friend. Some stranger is saying, "hey I trust you!" This past week she met with her potential seller to get everything signed and get the house on the market. And this is where I have a problem.

I was the one who looked over Jane's paperwork. I found a few errors and omissions--rookie mistakes, actually. But ones Mrs. Hufflepuff should have caught, if she had been bothered to look at Jane's paperwork in the first place, which she didn't.

Yesterday, Jane met with her seller. Mrs. Hufflepuff was too busy to attend Jane's first "big girl" listing presentation. So, with Mrs. Hufflepuff's blessing (after all she is the broker of Jane's company), I tagged along. I didn't mind doing so, except it wasn't my job. Their friendship aside, it was in Mrs. Hufflepuff's best interest to be there because she owns the liability if Jane makes a mistake. If I advise Jane in a way that is not what Mrs. Hufflepuff wants, I am fine. Jane won't be.

Jane did great at the listing appointment. She stumbled on a few minor things, turned to me and I filled in the blanks, much to her client's satisfaction. The paperwork was signed. I helped Jane start marketing the place and told her what she needed to do next. All of this is Mrs. Hufflepuff's job.

All of it.

These issues aside--although I am frustrated at Mrs. H., it must be ok to both her and Jane--I am really pleased that Jane managed to do this. Real estate is a tough business and it truly does take some time to become established. Most of my business these days are repeat clients and referrals. Rarely do I seek new clients. Jane isn't in a place where she has that luxury. So, this is a huge win for her.

I just wish her broker would have had her back.

No comments:

Post a Comment