Thursday, April 18, 2019

Another Mental Trip to Uncertainville

The Road To Uncertainville
Today Marty Sunshine was supposed to have an interview. I was thrilled he timed it perfectly with my client meeting so I wouldn't have to be at home, listening. While I was with my client, I wondered off-hand, would this be my last sale? If we moved, would I be flying back here for the closing? Or driving? This type of minutia is nothing new. I have discovered there are all sorts of micro-possibilities that run through my head when I'm in in the middle of Uncertainville.

As it turns out, the interview is now moved to next week, which is unfortunate because I had purposely not put much effort into researching this new place, and now I have way too much free time and a healthy curiosity. So I suppose it is time to figure out where the closest Costo might be located.

This particular location has a few perks. First--and this is a biggie--it is not South of the Tropic of Cancer. Nor is it in the swamp, though it turns out there have been a few sightings of swamp-like critters in this particular town (Ok, yes I did do some research on alligator sightings. There have been three that made the news in the past year. All of which were more than five feet long and scare the hell out of me). Second, this particular job is located in a rather smallish metro area with lower cost of living and similar wages to Mesa. I can get on board with that. And third, the air quality seems to be cleaner there from what I am reading, which is something along the lines of spectacular, especially as I listened helplessly to Polly gasping for air this morning, while her asthma got the best of her.

Speaking of Polly, she finds the idea of living what is roughly the Plains appealing because, as she explained to all of us, it is prime tornado land. To be fair, Polly has never been in a tornado and I have assured her they are more fun to watch on TV than in the top floor of a hotel in Birmingham, West Georgia.

At any rate, Marty has an interview next week. It will either go poorly and this alligator-infested area will be off the list. Or it will go well and he will move on to the phase of the interview stage--which will mean absolutely nothing has changed except he will have yet, another conversation at a later time--and I will be thinking of all sorts of other microscopic and potentially inconsequential details to address.


No comments:

Post a Comment