Saturday, April 13, 2019

The Member Appreciation Picnic

Last night, I dragged Jane to the local association's member appreciation picnic. From what I can tell, members from the West Virginia side of the association weren't invited. I was there because I am part of the (rolls eyes) Community Outreach Committee and guess which committee was delegated to handle business?

Originally I had invited Polly, Marty and Buck to come. I had also heard my realtor pal Sally was coming with her grand kids. Plus, Mrs. Hufflepuff was thinking about showing up. In the end, the only ones I recognized at the picnic were Jane and Muffy, the Committee Chair of the (rolls eyes) Community Outreach Committee. She looked at me, puzzled--as if she knew me from somewhere but not exactly sure where--when I said hello to her.

The "picnic" consisted of a few wine and beer stations, a grill, a bouncy house and several vendors giving away free pens or beer cozies. I did find a lender who was passing out bottles of water and that was nice. Jane found the animal rescue booth (how are dogs and real estate related?). Actually she found ALL of the animal rescue booths. I think there were four of them. I found the firemen and the fire truck, and was able to chat with them about Buck's career path. The other major activity seemed to be siblings needling siblings because they were bored of the bouncy house.

So honestly, unless you were under the age of 7, there really wasn't much to do.

Halfway through the picnic, I went to take my shift with the two other (rolls eyes) Community Outreach Committee members. We were to man the registration booth, Our collective jobs included putting different colored wristbands on the kids and adults. We were to give the grownups adult beverage tickets so they could imbibe. We were also to steer them towards the Critical Needs donation box and ask for member assistance.

As I am sure you will be shocked to read, nobody else from the committee bothered to show up for their shift. Muffy couldn't even be bothered to come by and say hello. I am debating if I am going to make it a year with these bozos.

Jane was a peach. Or perhaps she was bored. Either way, she was a lifesaver. She sat with me and put wristbands on the littles so they could go into the bouncy house (why? I imaging a bouncy house operator would figure out they were the right age to go in). Every so often, she would sneak away and go find the rescue dogs, but that was a small price to pay for her gracious assistance.

I hit every one up--coming or going--for a Critical Needs donation. I am not sorry. When we finally closed up the registration table for the night, the donation box was full and some families will be blessed by the generosity of others. And that was truly the best part of the entire picnic.

No comments:

Post a Comment