Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Birthday Weekend

In my defense, Bliz came into town last Friday.

It was a girl's weekend--there were four of us at a hotel in Scottsdale. There was a lot of laughing. A lot. And a baseball game with a dramatic walk-off win. There was wine for breakfast one day and enchiladas for breakfast another morning. 

My little brother might have transported all of us to a biker bar in a questionable neighborhood in East Phoenix one night in his 2007 minivan. The other day Bliz and I went there we drove and I met Kal, who swapped "best obscure restaurant in Arizona stories" with me (Me: any pie at Bear Wallow Cafe in Alpine, Kal: Rick's Cook Your Own Steak in Wilcox). 

Bliz's brother happens to own the biker bar. The food is great, by the way. The punk rock bands this past Saturday night, not so much. But if you go when Harry Luge's non-punk rock band is playing, you are in for a treat. Too bad he wasn't there this weekend. 

On Sunday, there was a road trip to some remote town in Southeastern Arizona, where I got to talk baseball with Bliz's dad. We also picked up matching Damnit Dolls (Bliz's doll is blue). We almost met up with my fifth grade teacher who retired somewhere in Cochise County--but alas! And Bliz had some of the best chicken fried steak in the world, which sadly wasn't at Rick's Cook Your Own Steak. 

There was the Arizona Cowboy Hall of Fame--which is in the back side of the Rex Allen Museum. The Rex Allen Museum costs $2, but the Arizona Cowboy Hall of Fame is free, so if you want to see the Arizona Cowboy Hall of Fame, please avert your eyes at all the Rex Allen paraphernalia you will pass as you get to the back room. There was also a Cochise County Museum in downtown, where I could have spent a couple more hours absorbing everything. I need to go back.

And so much, much more. It truly was my very best birthday ever. Jane told me after looking at the evidence on Facebook that she had never seen me so relaxed. And Jane has known me since I was six.

It has taken me me two days to recover from my girl's weekend. And I guarantee though there were adventures, there were no adventures in real estate. 


No comments:

Post a Comment