Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Fan Girl Follies



For those of you who don't know me, I am quite shy. A friend once said of me, I was the only person she knew who could comfortably live on a deserted island with a stack of books and not ever feel the least bit lonely. Even without the books, she's right. I do like people. But I prefer to interact with people in very controlled settings.

I bring this up because last week Mrs. Hufflepuff's brokerage was hosting someone from the real estate world I have often admired. Several months ago, he spoke at the WCR installation of officers. I heard him speak then. He was worth the price of admission. But that wasn't the first time I heard him speak.

Back in 2002, when I was writing for the real estate magazine while chasing one toddler and dealing with morning sickness 24 hours a day, I had the pleasure to interview this man. It is probably my all-time favorite interview, which is saying something because there may have been a teensy and extremely humiliating morning sickness issue that got the best of me. Our interview back then lasted much longer than it should have. I didn't care, I really enjoyed visiting with him. I left wanting to hear more.

He isn't the reason I became an agent, but talking to him that day 17 years ago sure was encouraging.

Anyway, when I heard Mr. F. was talking at Jane's office last week I invited myself along. There were about eight of us, and he provided a semi-private class on selling that I ate up. Other than Mr. F., I had been in the business longer than anyone in that room, but it was a learning experience nonetheless.

When it was over, he asked me why I came. After all, I didn't belong to this brokerage. I told him how I interviewed him all those years ago. Fortunately he didn't remember the unfortunate morning sickness. I shared with him that I always kept an eye on his career (which sounds a lot more creepy than I meant it to be). And when I interviewed him, I left that meeting elevated and inspired--which is exactly how I left last week's class with him too.

After the class was over, Mr. F., asked Jane to take a picture of the two of us. Jane told me if I didn't post it on Facebook, she would. And damn! She wasn't kidding. I insisted she take it down Sunday night. She agreed only if I had the picture up by Monday night.

When I posted it, I instantly broke out into nervous hives. I may be a fan girl of Mr. F's--and I really am--but I am still a shy fan girl who regularly questions why I chose such a social field to go into.

No comments:

Post a Comment