Tuesday, June 25, 2019

I Was Just Asking for a New Slumber Room for Aunt Mildred and Uncle Monty

Those brass faucets!
My real estate pal, John, and I held a house open last week for an agent friend of his. His friend met us there and then left. The dude is one of those car-sales types that has no respect for anyone who doesn't kiss his butt. I doubt he will ever ask me to hold his house open again, and that won't hurt my feelings.

What I am here to tell you is about the house. Located on 130th Street in Scottsdale, it is probably about $20k under what it should be listed for. There is a good reason for that: It was tastefully decorated in 1988. Imagine if you will, beige, beige, and beige. Couple that with travertine tile and 1988 brass fixtures. I swear it looked like something you could have pulled out of Vegas' Venician Hotel back in the day.

The listing has been on the market for 30 days, which is ancient history in this market. I asked the agent if he were open to feedback he could provide the seller. He said "Yes," but turns out he really meant, "NO!" I thought if the appliances should be updated (black, 1988) and perhaps, maybe six or seven of the gloomy 4' x 5' portraits on the walls were taken down, it might make the home feel a bit more inviting. You know, if Scooby and the Gang didn't need them, the seller could probably keep up the other 17 if necessary...

That didn't go over well. The agent explained he already cleared out so much stuff in this home. So, buyers could just deal with the pictures. That would just be the way it would be.

Fair enough, it isn't my listing.

Also I suggested (and John immediately jumped in and agreed) that perhaps the shrine containing Aunt Mildred and Uncle Monty could be moved away from the front door and perhaps into an unused bedroom. And if the seller were willing to move them, perhaps they also might be willing to remove the garish angel statues watching over them? The agent wasn't open to this either, so I stopped.

When people did come into the home, John or I would purposely stand in front of the shrine, allowing the folks to take in all the gloomy pictures. We figured if potential buyers had to look somewhere, the portraits were a better selling point than the shrine.

Here is the listing description by the way. I am not sure what I think of it. I do think he might have mentioned the pool was heated, plantation shutters and granite countertops. But, then again, I rarely sell homes in Scottsdale, so what do I know.

If the pillared window and beautiful front door didn't catch your eye, wait until you enter this elegant home. Walk through the doorway to find a tiled entry way with a cozy living area and pillared dining area. Walk through the arch to find a large kitchen which overlooks a family room and fireplace. The kitchen, with lots of storage space, has a gorgeous breakfast bar/island, elegant countertops, and a desk nook. 3 bedrooms are down the hall, one of which being a homey master with another fireplace. The open bathroom features a walk in closet, private toilet room, walk in shower, double sinks, and a tiled soaking tub. The master room, and the family room, have sliding glass door access to the spectacular backyard, complete with pool, patio, and spa. .This 3 car garage home stunning

No comments:

Post a Comment