Sunday, September 12, 2021

Adventures in Adulting

Doug and Carla's cute little condo closed on Friday with less drama than highly expected. Cruella and I had a meeting of the minds on Tuesday. The loan officer and I had a meeting of the minds on Wednesday. Carla apologized for her continual volatile outbursts on Thursday. But, no matter, by Thursday I was numb and just didn't care. By Friday I got "thank yous," from all of the above and dished out my own gratitude. Or at least I hope I did. 

The enjoyment of our vacation was cut short by about a week because last Monday, while hanging around Northern Michigan, I got a text: "Dad was rushed by ambulance to the hospital." This set off a week-long series of drama that made me forget about real estate for the most part. It also set off a mad-dash home, leaving a few precious and lost vacation days for another time. 

Because of Dad's situation, my brother Darwin is in town this weekend. We both finally got to see Dad on Saturday. Dad had a TIA ("mini-stroke") and according to Google, he should make a full recovery--whatever that looks like. However, he hasn't made this, "full recovery" just yet and is currently in a rehabilitation facility where he let Darwin and I know that his children, "committed and institutionalized him." No amount of reasoning could change his mind. 

Also on Saturday, Squirrel (who had been spearheading Dad's care while I was gone), Darwin and I got together to talk about Dad's options. As Dad currently is now, he cannot live alone. If Dad is willing to learn some of the mad skills his occupational therapist is willing to teach him and practice his physical training exercises so that he can walk again with assistance, we are willing to honor his request to go home and live his life the way he sees fit. But Dad isn't sure learning those skills and doing those exercises are a good use of his time in the rehab center. 

Today is Sunday. I think. I've set aside today for laundry, home chores and family time. Tomorrow is Monday, which will be  meetings with the doctors, social workers, other people who I don't even know exist yet and figuring out what steps can be taken to honor his wishes. 

Tuesday I start a new job. 

I hate adulting.

No comments:

Post a Comment