Thursday, September 23, 2021

Experience Tells Me

I had lunch with my Broker Pal, Sally this past week. I ran a scenario by her to see what she thought. 

Here is the scenario: 
  • Cute little condo was vacant. 
  • The buyer walk-through for the cute little condo was on August 27. At that time, all the spare keys were left inside the property. 
  • The title company told my sellers as well as me on several occasions that the buyer was anxious to close by August 31. That was our original close of escrow date. 
  • I went on a (supposed to be) two and a half week vacation August 27. 
  • Cruella went on a week long vacation September 3. 
  • The lender had some drama that she purposely hid from me (and caused a bit of a fluctuation in my happy vacation timeline), which resulted in us closing September 10. 
  • Cruella was freakishly polite and more evasive than usual--to the point of Marty asking me what she was up to. 
  • I went to pick up the lock box last week only to find the key for the condo still in the lock box. The patio of the condo was decked out nicely. I peeked in the window and the place looked perfect. Not a stray packing box in sight. 
  • I asked Doug and Carla: they hadn't been by the property since around August 24.  

I threw this at Sally. She immediately said, "Cruella gave the buyer the spare keys left in the condo at the walk through and let her move in early." 

Yep. I think so too. I have no solid evidence. It is serious conjecture. There were a few other things in there too--comments Cruella made. Looking back, I can see that some of her answers to my questions were strange. For example, I asked if they would be doing another walk through now that the close of escrow was two weeks later. Cruella made some sort of cryptic comment that essentially said, "no." and by then, I was dealing with a mad-dash home to take care of my father and wasn't paying attention. 

I've been doing this for 18 years my gut tells me I'm probably right. I will never know. Nor do I care much at this point. But yea, I suspect the buyer was homeless as of August 31 and she and Cruella rolled the dice and took a chance and moved in early. 


No comments:

Post a Comment