Monday, November 15, 2021

House Hunting

There is a bit of irony that I hate looking at houses, which is all I've been doing for the past few days. In a few weeks, I will even be doing it in person. 

We are in a unique situation. We have equity and can put a substantial amount down on a property. I'm truly ok with that. Except, I don't know how much I want to spend. Nor do I know what I want for a house. Nor do I know where I want to live. I mean, Texarkana isn't that big, but what's better? Living near Texas A&M? In one of the suburbs like New Boston or Atlanta? Downtown Texarkana? Near Spring Lake Park? Close to Marty's new office? If we live in New Boston--which is not near Marty's new office--the poor man will have to commute 15 minutes! 

Using my super fine-tuned real estate skills, I know that location is the key to everything. So, even though I loved the house on 7th--which has a gas stove!--it is right next to a shooting range and on a main road. That will be a lot of noise and Luna would forever be on doggy-downers if she had to listen to gunshots all day. Also, the one acre gem--gem I tell you!!!--with oak trees and a wrap-around front porch is a no-go because it is less than a half-mile from Texas A&M and on the one and only main artery to the campus. 

I thought the one on Sparrow Lane was adorable. But do I need 2,900 square feet? I liked the one on Hickory Drive, but I think we need more than 1,200 square feet. The one on Ponce de Leon was an adorable mid-century that rivals any found on Northern and Central Avenues (my favorite neighborhood in the Valley), but do I need to be concerned about the next door neighbor's copious car collection scattered in his back yard? Thank you Google Maps! Then there's the one two blocks from the Interstate, the one that backs up to the Pentecostal church and the list goes on. Then, of course, there are the bland ones that just don't speak to us. 

We also go back and forth with: this move might not be for us. Do we want to be stuck with a big house that might be harder to sell if we decide to look for another adventure? Or do we want something smallish to live in for the next year, that we could turn around and make a rental if the real estate market makes it harder to sell?


 

No comments:

Post a Comment