Friday, January 28, 2022

A Week of Employment

Tessa and I have spent the week setting up and knocking down boundaries. Originally brought in to just be a transaction coordinator (which is just a glorified paper pusher), we started off Monday with her telling me she wanted to put me on the payroll. Nope. I want to be a contractor, paid by each sale. By Wednesday I demanded a raise: put me on the payroll and pay me by the transaction. Thursday night, I insisted on a new title. 

For some weird reason, Tessa seems to think I am some sort of business genius. She keeps saying, "You ran a brokerage," as if that qualifies me to instantly take over all things she is thinking I need to take over. The truth be told, yes, I did run a successful brokerage. But I got along with my entire staff of me, and my paperwork was simple.  

I also ran a property management company for 15 years, which better qualifies me for what she's looking for. But if she knew the truth, she'd ghost my calls. Or, I'd ghost hers. 

This past week, after all the years Tessa's been managing her brokerage, she had some serious upheaval. It had nothing to do with my arrival, and the timing wasn't suspect, just unfortunate for me and, come to think of it, probably even more unfortunate for her. 

That said, I interviewed someone yesterday for a position that Tessa's staff doesn't even know is open. I also recommended Tessa not hire the woman I interviewed (pro tip: don't start your interview bitching about the company you are interviewing with). I am coordinating training for new agents next week. I helped her process some legal employment issues ("Please talk to your attorney and get a new forensic accountant. Go to Dallas if you can't find one here."). And, last night in an afterhours run to her office, I helped her clean out the files and remove the computer of one of her employees she is pretty sure is going rouge. 

What Tessa doesn't know is that she's on probation with me. I have a short window of patience. At the moment I'm of the opinion that if her employment issues get resolved, things in her office will be significantly better. But as far as I'm concerned, I signed up to be a glorified paper pusher. I have no desired to be a babysitter. If I wanted that, I'd run another property management company. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment