Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Home on Arizona

 



I live in a city called, "Wake Village." Its population is 5,392 as of 2019 and is a little less than 3 square miles. It is on the outskirts of Texarkana and you'd have to cross under Interstate 369 (that is only 2 miles and really goes nowhere) to get into Texarkana. 

Wake Village was founded in 1942 and used for housing for the Red River Army Depot, which is a few miles from here. The city was named after Wake Island. There are streets called, "Burma," "Manilla," and "Singapore." At first I couldn't figure out why in this tiny little place there would be a street called, Arizona. Then I read the city's history. Bingo. The USS Arizona had just sunk and those in charge paid tribute.

I live on Arizona Avenue. My house is one of the newer ones, built in 2002. It is in a quiet area, near the woods and about a mile from Marty's job. At first I thought we'd make lots of jokes about the coincidence between being from Arizona and living on Arizona, but it hasn't panned out that way. Instead this is just home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment