Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Random Texarkana, The Lingo Addition

 Last week the vet's assistant announced that I wasn't from "around here." He could tell because of my "thick accent." 

_______________

The plumber just called me "Sweetie." Normally I'd be miffed and he would not be my plumber. Ever. However, at this point, I'm getting used to everyone referring to me as, "Sweetie," "Darl'n," "Honey" and "Missy." I'm realizing it is just a cultural thing and those words seem to have less syllables than my (normally) two syllable first name, which seems to be about five to six syllables when the locals say it. 

_______________

One of our agents had a personal dilemma. I automatically said, "Oh bless your heart," and put my hand to my chest in the gracious, I'm-so-sorry-that-happened-to-you-what-can-I-do-to-help way. It is a totally different dialect than the, "Oh bless your heart," in the how-stupid-can-you-be way, that I give to big city motorists. 

No comments:

Post a Comment