Monday, February 28, 2022

Of Dads and Laughing

My father peacefully passed away early Saturday morning. Darwin and I managed to get there--we were told he waited for us. I was with him when he left this Earth, which was my wish. I didn't want him to die alone. 

I hope he is laughing with his brothers, hugging his mother, petting his cat, walking around Heaven without the use of a cane and in general, feeling whole again. 

Darwin, Squirrel and I spent the hours waiting for the hospice nurse and the funeral home laughing and singing "Soft Kitty"* to each other as a form of comfort. Some people deal with grief in big blotchy tears (I did with Bonus Mom), but in our case, my brothers and I cracked rapid-fire jokes and smiled in the fashion of an impromptu (dry) Irish wake--the way Dad would have wanted. 


*"Soft Kitty" is a silly song from The Big Bang Theory. Here it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-qra604RbU

No comments:

Post a Comment