Tuesday, February 15, 2022

The Ol'e Brokerage Update

It's been two weeks at the ol'e Brokerage and I'm still having a blast. I hired Abby, which was a no-brainer. I also called Leah, who is an agent I interviewed for the same position, and told her if I could do anything personally to help her in her real estate career, let me know. I liked her. But Abby was the clear winner.  

There have been a few ups and downs. I can't get out of going to Vegas for the big corporate pow-wow. Of the folks going, I am pretty sure I'm the only one with "big city" experience. The rest of the gang grew up in rural Texas and Arkansas thinks of Vegas as glamorous. 

I did score a major victory on the Vegas front: Up until yesterday, I was supposed to room with Tessa. Tessa was insisting on it, even though I offered to stay at the Hampton Inn off the Strip and, at my own expense, just Uber in for the conference--just to get out of bunking with her. I even offered just not to go--which would have been fine by me. I mean, Tessa's all kinds of wonderful and all, but she's my boss and about as Type-A as I am. However, Fate intervened, someone backed out of the trip for health reasons and a hotel room opened. I'm now sharing with an agent who is more my style.  

In an effort to deal with the maddening idea of having to do this trip, stay with Tessa (whew) and go to the corporate meet and greet at some famous Vegas night club that Tessa is insisting we go to, I called my AZ doctor and got some more anti-anxiety meds. That should get me through the week, especially if I decide to candidly walk into a shellfish restaurant an hour before the meet and greet and/or suddenly come down with a migraine right before the big event. But I don't see me at a Vegas night club. 

One of the great things about this position is that I negotiated all the time off I could muster to head to Arizona to take care of my dad. I leave a week after Vegas to go Arizona. When I saw how much plane tickets were costing ($800 on Southwest!) I opted to drive. When I told Tessa I would be gone a couple extra days to make up for the driving, she actually used her frequent flyer miles and got me a ticket. I am still floored and totally touched by her kindness. 

But I'm still not going to the Vegas meet and greet at the night club. 



   

No comments:

Post a Comment