Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Consulting

Since I moved here, once in a while I get a call from a random real estate agent asking me some question having to do with Arizona real estate. Wednesday was no exception. I got a call from one of the three owners of the transaction coordinator company that hired me last September. 

As you probably don't remember, I worked for this company for three days and then resigned, as I did not have time to work and manage Dad's care at the time (Dad, at the time, was in a rehabilitation facility and it was 70 miles from my home). Plus, I may have talked to a friend at the Department and got a squishy-in-the-gut feeling about the whole thing. But that's another story. 

Anyway, this company is still around. However, because interest rates took a drastic turn last week, the housing market is changing. Her broker is demanding to take over their business and their subsequent income. She called, asking me for advice. What did I charge? 

Honestly, I don't want to charge anything for what I had to say. My advice seemed perfectly obvious. But I did speak freely. I told her: Your broker is a sleezeball (hence the squishy-in-the-gut feeling) and has no strategy for a soft market. So, he is panicking because the market turned. He is threatening you (how did she not see this?) and he wants the money you are making from these sales. I made a few suggestions and gave her the name of a few of my good contacts for her to reach out to (use my name) who might need a transaction coordinator, because it was obviously time to move on. 

What I found absolutely astonishing was that this LICENSED ACTIVE REALTOR hadn't paid attention to the fact the market was changing. It didn't occur to her the real estate market might eventually shift and there might be either more homes for sale, less buyers, prices too high or higher interest rates. I don't even have any skin in the game and I understood basic supply and demand. Apparently her broker didn't pay attention either, but he understands basic supply and demand.  

As much as she wanted to pay me for our 20 minute call, I think it might be better if she saves her money for a rainy day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment