Sunday, December 18, 2022

Bloom Where I'm Planted

We've been Texans for a year. So far so good. After spending two+ weeks in Arizona this month, I can honestly say I don't miss Phoenix, the litter, crime and traffic. I miss the people I love. All'y'all. Bunches. 

I didn't warm up to my newly adopted home right away. Perhaps if my father hadn't died two months after I got here I'd have felt differently. But then again, as a good friend pointed out, I was already mourning leaving the only life I knew behind before Dad passed. It feels like I didn't get into the groove of things here in Texas until around September. 

And let's be fair, "warming up," might be an overstatement. I had to get used to a different life. It is quieter here. Traffic is slower. People are more forgiving. There is no litter, graffiti and crazy is kept in check lest the risk of community shaming. My big-city attitude needed to melt. It mostly had--that is, until I went back to Phoenix two weeks ago. Maybe I can strike a deal that my big-city attitude can be kept in a box and pulled out on appropriate occasions. 

It took a while, but I've met people I like. I'm involved with like-minded people, and a few folks who are completely not like-minded and who are much more interesting. I decided I was accepted by folks while I was gone on this past Arizona trip when three or four people texted me to see how my sister-in-law was doing and when was I coming back. This past Wednesday, Cindy put in the Church of Christ prayer thread a request for my safe travels back "home" which several ladies sweetly responded with private notes of their own.

Additionally, this year I strengthened several Arizona friendships. Absence really does make the heart grow fonder. I love and appreciate the people I left behind. Every phone call, text and e-mail is a sweet reminder of how grateful I am they are in my life. My Arizona friends have kept me going through some of my recent darker moments in a way the new people in my life never could. 

This past year I've had a chance to pursue hobbies that I never had a chance to do when we were running around chasing life in Arizona. I wrote several short stories. Plus, I managed to write two full-length novels. One is on the shelf, brewing. The other is in edit stages. I joined two writing groups. Neither are local, but both have brought me creative joy. I also joined the public library's book club. Valerie taught me to sew. Bob the Paramedic taught me to quilt. I also grew a garden. In fact, as I write this, I still have broccoli and Bussell sprouts--however, it is supposed to get down to 14 degrees this week. 

In the next year, I have a few projects I wish to start. I've been invited to apply for the Texas A&M/Bowie County Master Gardener program. I want to volunteer at the local homeless mission. I'm working on another quilt, with Bob's help. Bob wants to open a quilt shop, which I'd be willing to work at part time. I'm part of a Bible study at my church on Thursdays. I go to the Church of Christ prayer meetings once a month, mainly for the community and friendship. Tessa, my Realtor, introduced me to the Coronas, who treat me like one of them. Plus, there's a new group I've just been invited to: the Thursday Lunch Bunch. Same Corona Ladies, but this is once a week and over salad. Thus far, the timing hasn't worked for me to join the Lunch Bunch, but I've been told I'm expected in 2023. Additionally, the Woman's Auxiliary from my church as volunteer opportunities for the community as well. So, hopefully I will find ways to grow in my new Texas home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment