Wednesday, December 7, 2022

Patrick

My nine year old nephew Patrick is a genius. And like all geniuses everywhere, he doesn't care that he is that smart. Why do homework? It's just busy work (Auntie has been asked to not validate this, even if I wholeheartedly agree). Why learn multiplication when people use calculators? Why shouldn't he spend hours watching videos on the mechanics behind robotic vacuums. And why shouldn't every book report be on the owner's manual automobiles? After all, he read the manual. Isn't that a book? If you want to know how to bypass the airbag in a car, Patrick can set you up. He can also take apart your cuckoo clock and reassemble it. Perhaps you will be lucky enough to have him ask permission before he does so. But if not, know that your cuckoo clock was probably off by 37 seconds and he has now fixed it. 

A long time ago, there were two little boys in my life. I love those boys and the men they are now. I love Patrick. Those boys are still super-special and being with Patrick reminds me of that time. Those boys remind me Patrick will be a successful adult, provided he survives childhood.

I also love my time with Patrick. On the way to school yesterday we discussed his "ex-girlfriend," and how that has changed his perspective of male-female relationships. He decided that referring to this girl as his "ex" gives her too much power, when he just wants her to go away. He doesn't want to be reminded she makes bad choices. Besides, Antonia is a better fit for him--just ask him. I happen to agree. #teamAntonia

This morning on the way to school, we talked about his secret Santa gift for a boy in his karate class (a can of Pepsi). He asked if a laser could cut through tungsten? Also, he wanted to know why saying "Bless your heart?" is not appropriate for school--may my brother someday forgive me because I explained this to Patrick. Then Patrick had me walk him to the crossing guard and turned around and hugged me in front of his entire school. 


No comments:

Post a Comment