Thursday, December 8, 2022

Yes Ma'am

Next week when I leave Maricopa County, I will be stopping by Cochise County for the briefest of visits with Mrs. Meadows. It's a busy time of year for her, with running the Sunday School, the Christmas pageant and a litany of other activities she has planned. Did I mention she's in her mid-80s? 

Additionally, she's informed me while I'm there we will be "solidifying" future dates for a visit. That's fine. I'm planning on returning back to Arizona in a few months--just not three weeks from now. 

When I called her, she said, "You will be staying the night?" 

"Sure, if you don't mind," I replied. 

Mrs. Meadows was quiet for a moment and then said, "I guess you thought that was a question, didn't you?" 

I certainly don't mind camping at her 10 acre compound at the base of the Dragoons. The only downside is that she's 4.5 hours to El Paso. After El Paso, the next closest place to bunk for the night is Pecos, three hours further. I either need to leave first thing in the morning, to get to Pecos or I can spend half a day with her and then plan on staying in El Paso for the night with a very early start the next morning and a 14 hour drive in front of me. 

The good news is I should be home in time for Marty's birthday. In the meantime, I'm planning a quick picnic lunch with her in the Chiricahua Mountains (or maybe the Dragoon Mountains--I prefer Dragoon, she prefers Chiricahuas, and she doesn't get to go as often as she'd like) next week before heading to El Paso.  

No comments:

Post a Comment