Monday, December 5, 2022

Disappointing

This trip to Arizona has not gone as I was hoping. My brother's wife's mass was benign--best news of all. She can't drive, and honestly, she already does too much even with my help. Right now I'm charged with getting Patrick to and from school as well as to karate. Plus, I'm cooking dinner for the seven of us. I sneak in whatever else she will let me do. I don't mind. 

But the list of folks I really want to connect with is long and my time is short. For that, I'm frustrated. I don't want to be "that" friend who breezes into town and can't manage to see the important people in my life--because they are important. But not this trip, I guess. 

My brother was astonished that I wasn't coming back for my originally planned trip in January. "Why wouldn't you?" he asked. Um... I have a life in Texas. And responsibilities there. Plus, I am trying to build a community in my new home state. I'd like to be in my town long enough to try that out. But I don't see me heading home next week in time for what's left of our Christmas season and Marty's birthday (which I will probably miss), then being home long enough to handle a couple of loads of laundry, pet the cat and the dog and turn around and haul myself back to Phoenix. Even if I flew, the travel is still an undertaking and Arizona is no longer my home. 

One of the crazier coincidences is my friend Jane, who moved to Boise a few years ago, is also in town right now. I won't be seeing her either.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment