Thursday, December 29, 2022

The Christmas Party

I mentioned some time back, I was invited to join the Lady's Auxiliary (also known as "Unit 3" for some unknown reason) at our church. I agreed because I figured I should probably get to know some of the folks at my church half as well as I was getting to know the ladies at the Church of Christ. So far, Unit 3 has had one meeting. They also had a Christmas party scheduled for December 3. 

Well, on December 3, the only person who was healthy enough to attend was me, and I was in Arizona. So, they moved the party to this past Wednesday.  

Up until the hour before it started, I'd been looking forward to this Christmas party. Then, the anxiety kicked in. I'd met most of the ladies who'd be attending (one time), but couldn't tell you their names. Marty had worked all day, was recovering from a cold and looked like he wanted to do anything other than go to this thing. How was this exactly going to work out? What if they were serving shrimp? Who would I talk to at this shin-dig? What if I said something anti-Southern? Anti-Catholic? And God forbid, Anti-Texan?  

Also, this crowd knew each other for more than 30 years. Marty and I were the outsiders. Plus, they were all in their late 50s-mid 60s. At 54, I'm the baby of the group. My anxiety lasted until I walked in the door and our hostess Melody greeted me and offered me--and I'm not making this up--an apple pie moonshine shot. I stopped at one and wished there was Fireball Whiskey to chase it down with, just to cut the edge. I think Melody stopped at 17. If she was drunk, it didn't show. Melody reminds me of Marty's late mother--a gregarious, bossy, Catholic Texan. She is a hoot.  

Before eating, everyone sung Happy Birthday to Marty, who was the only December birthday in the bunch. After we ate, we played some silly party games and then we had--and mind you, this is Texas where polite society and political correctness aren't what the rest of the world considers for either--a "Chinese" Gift Exchange game. Each party had to bring a man and woman gift. I ended up with a set of mixing bowls that Polly can take with her if she promises to eventually move out. Marty got earbuds (which are now mine). 

I now feel much more comfortable with Unit 3. I have a tentative lunch and sewing date with one of the ladies for later next month. Marty even mentioned perhaps we should stay for coffee and donuts after mass and visit next week. So, it looks like he had fun too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment