Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Remedial Sewing

The Easy Bake Ovens of Sewing Machines

I decided when I moved to Texarkana I'd officially learn to sew. Though Bonus Mom taught me the basics and I could hold my own, I didn't have a ton of skill. Texarkana College offered a five-week "Basic Sewing" class last April and I signed up. Unfortunately, the first day of class was four weeks after my father passed away, 5 days after my aunt died and two days before my cousin Eric would pass--though the first day of class I knew his end was near. I left half-way through that first class because I was a bit of a basket case. 

Nevertheless, the course was great. I learned quite a bit. The folks in the class came from all walks of life and we had a blast. Instantly I picked out the homeschool families (there were two of us plus our teacher, Val). All of us students had about the same amount of sewing experience and that sewing class was just what I needed during that crazy time. One of the students even asked me on week three for travel advice because she had a trip to Phoenix lined up. 

The course was so successful that we convinced Val to offer an Advanced Class. Last October we all took her Advanced class and had another blast. 

Val offered another beginning sewing class this past January. Though I've progressed long-past a zippered pouch and a pillowcase, I signed up. I wanted to get out of the house, meet some folks and have an excuse to sew something. 

Sewing Kit Thread
Unfortunately, Val's Basic Sewing class this time is a bit different. Now, don't get me wrong, these are lovely people. Just like I'm not cut out for acting, singing, and a whole litany of competencies, sewing rings true for this bunch. However, I think Val had some expectations for her students that just haven't been met.
 
On the first day of class, Allison brought the equivalent of battery operated Easy Bake Oven Sewing Machine to class as her personal sewing machine. She also insisted her 12 year old son, Seth, come along. The poor kid is now stuck in what I'm sure he considers one of Dante's rings of hell.  

Malory brought her sewing machine in a duffle bag, no thread and no fabric (the last two items were mentioned in several e-mails prior to the first class). Katie brought hers in a box, unopened, with the packing tape still affixed. She also brought thread. However, it was sewing kit thread--you know, those tiny spools you use when you are putting on a button--and not the kind you'd use on a sewing machine. 

It was obvious from the start Val was not expecting this level of incompetence. To keep the class moving, I jumped in and helped her. She tackled Mom and Son, I worked with the other two ladies setting up their machines. When I said, "We need to set up your bobbin," Katie grabbed her bobbin and one of her sewing kit threads and started hand-winding the thread. She marveled when she discovered her machine does this for her. 

On the next class, it appeared Val and I would need to divide and conquer again if we were going to get anything done. This time Malory brought fabric and tried to give me back the scrap of fabric she'd used the week before that I'd given her. No, not necessary. She'd already cut and sewn it. I was good. I took Malory aside to show her how to cut her fabric. Sadly, she just wasn't getting the entire concept of actually scoring the material--you know, to make it the shape she wanted. "You can't cut it like a princess. You need to cut it like a warrior." I said. "Otherwise, the material will fray." 

"I don't want to hurt it. It has feelings," she replied, and meant it. 

"You are making it cry this way," I said, not meaning it. But Malory believed me and sorta cut her fabric with more gusto and slightly more precision. 

The following week, I gave a demonstration to the group (at Val's insistence--I think she needed a moment) on how to pin. Let me explain how to pin. Match up the edges of the fabric. Pin the EDGES of the fabric in place so the fabric won't shift (no Malory, it doesn't hurt the fabric). Keep the pins in as you sew but take them out BEFORE the needle runs over them. For extra credibility, I even whipped out my phone and showed them where they could find a good Youtube resource on pinning. Someone who shall remain nameless heard something along the lines of toss two pieces of fabric into a haphazard pile, only affix one pin in the middle of the fabric, sew and expect everything to come out perfect. 

I also demonstrated how to topstich--a process I'm certain was created by Satan himself. The trick for topstiching is to go slowly. I cannot stress this enough. Otherwise the fabric pulls and the process will be repeated until done correctly. I explained this and demonstrated the "pulling" when sewing too quickly. I took the fabric out of the machine and passed it around, letting everyone examine what happened. Someone else who will remain nameless is apparently a hands-on learner and had to figure it out herself. But first she was introduced to her new tool, the seam ripper.  

Val mostly works with Allison and Seth, but I noticed this past week Seth was a bit tired of Val's instruction. So, I took Seth aside. He was ironing his apron seams. However, as he ironed, he would whip his iron across the fabric, un-ironing another section. Plus, he kept leaving the iron face-down on the fabric. Was it on purpose? Maybe not the first time. I would like to think I speak 12 year old boy, but I'm not sure he truly will grasp the reason to iron seams (to set them in place before you stich--which is what I told him). Seth is also not a fan of sewing in a moderately straight line and I was showing him some tricks to do so (like following the guides on the sewing machine). My true opinion is that Seth would rather be anywhere else than in this class and it didn't matter what anyone said to him. I really feel for the kid. 

On the second week of class, we (well, everyone else) still hadn't completed week one's or week two's projects. This was very different than my classmates and me last April who did our homework (cutting out our fabric, reading the directions and making sure we had what we needed before class) and managed to get through our beginning projects in under three hours. After that second class, Val thanked me for my help and I said I hoped I wasn't out of line. She shook her head and said not at all. That night, I found a $5 gift card in my e-mail for an online pattern company from her and I realized how frustrated she must be as well. 

After four weeks this crowd still hasn't finished one project. None of them are all that hot on reading directions. To compensate for this, Val has changed the curriculum. This past week she had them work on everything we'd started. I brought in something I'm working on from home. I didn't have much to do, but really only came for the social interaction. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment