Sunday, March 26, 2023

A Random Saturday

Why are these
things relevant? 
Saturday morning, I nudged Marty and insisted he head out early. Well, "early" for us. So, around 10 a.m., we drove three miles to downtown to the "Texarkana Home and Garden Show," which was in an abandoned  building half the size of a Walgreens. We talked to a few builders (our goal), entered contests to win gift cards, ear buds and a "Mexican" dinner. None of these entries wanted more than our first name and phone number. 

Every single vendor was passing out can logoed cozies, which makes me think some slick promotional products salesman had a run on these things and managed to convince every business in Texarkana that these were hot items. "They are great for your pop," one plumber--bless his heart--told me, offering me two of them. "I don't drink soda," I replied. "Well, your husband can use them for his beer."  Ah... The South. 

I now have the name of a few builders who may want to bid on my mythological sun room, which is in the early stages of development. Stay tuned. 

Afterwards, Marty and I walked around Downtown--which is one street and three blocks long. It took us five minutes. We ended up at a burger place we'd wanted to check out. We've checked it out. Marty brought half his burger home for Buckaroo. I brought 2/3 of my burger home for Luna. 

Speaking of Luna, I then took her for a walk, where she tried to charge a toddler. Unfortunately, it was one of my neighbors. I know Luna was only excited to see a little person--she loves little people. Plus, because she was on a harness and a leash, and is 70 pounds of muscle, my right arm is now two inches longer than my left from controlling her. Fortunately, the parents of this little one were really awesome about the entire experience. They laughed. I was mortified. Luna's walk tomorrow will be in a very different direction.  

After all of that, Polly, Marty and I made it to our canning class at Texarkana College by 1 p.m. My sewing teacher, Val was conducting this class. It was a three hour information dump and I learned quite a bit--including to have a healthy respect for botulism. 

If it will stop raining long enough, I will finish planting my garden so I can actually have food to grow so that I will be able to eventually put in practice some of what I learned today. As a side note, Joy--a woman I met last summer--happened to be in the class. She's pretty awesome too. 

While in the class, Tessa called. She left a random voice mail about a house Marty and I "just have to see." We have first dibs! She told me all about how awesome the house was, but forgot a few details like the address and price. Marty and I are not interested. I don't even want to flirt with thinking about another house. However, I didn't call Tessa back. 

Instead, I put in my headphones, put on my audio book ("A Gentleman in Moscow"--everyone should read/listen to this book once a year) and went for a Luna-free walk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment