Saturday, March 11, 2023

The Current Governor of Arkansas is from Texarkana*

I must say, of all the activities I've done since I've moved to Texarkana, Corona night has never disappointed. Last night was no exception. It's taken a year to write this: I finally feel like I'm part of the group. In fact, I felt so secure last night, that I opted to skip the dinner and show up late. My timing was perfect and I didn't have to go through the whole awkward, "I'm Catholic and don't eat meat on Fridays during Lent" or (worse) "I'm allergic to 95 percent of what you are serving" dialogue. However I showed up just in time for the games.

We played two games: Double Ditto--a silly card game. And Skipbo--another silly card game, and a crowd favorite. As a writer though, it was the snippets of conversations I enjoyed. Imagine these all said with a Southern accent. 

"What's y'alls foundation are you wearing these days? I need a new foundation. Mine is starting to make me look like a racoon with hives." 

"Anyone of y'all have the cataract surgery? I'm checking into it. But thinking being blind is a better option."

"My sister has a boot on her ankle and one of those scooter-things to get her around, she isn't driving any better with that scooter than she does in a car. Bless her heart." 

* "Did you see what Sarah proposed for teachers? Lord, I remember her as a little girl. She had sense then. Her Daddy needs to have a good long talk with her and straighten her up." "She was in my second grade classroom when I was teaching. Somewhere along the lines she got hit on the head."  

"Y'all want to go to Dueling Pianos? Don't know what it is, but pretty sure they use swords." "Do they use the F word?" "Maybe, so just close your ears." How am I supposed to hear the pianos?"

"Do you remember when she was new here" (pointing to me) "and said she liked goat cheese? That's the day we bonded." (I have no memory of bonding over this moment, but okay...) 

"It's nice of you to be home long enough from your world travels to have us over. Where you heading off to next week?" 

Said without a Southern accent: "Ladies it's been fun. Good night. I'm heading out. I'm working at a backyard chicken seminar first thing in the morning." (said with a Southern accent) "You can't go! You won the last hand. Get back here and give me a rematch." 

Welp, perhaps you had to be there. But rest assured, there was laughing and my heart is full. Hopefully my Backyard Chicken Seminar today will be entertaining as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment