Sunday, March 5, 2023

The Surprise Party

Deb, the leader of the Coronas, turned 70 a couple of weeks ago. Last week, Krissy decided we needed to hold a surprise party for her. She sent out a pre-planned group text (which included Deb) saying, "Hey, I'm taking Deb out for dinner on Friday night to celebrate her birthday. Y'all coming?" We all texted variations of "No, can't make it," with some lies being much more specific than others. 

Then, all but Tessa (who had an Ole Brokerage event) and Gail, who happened to be in Hawaii, met up at an actual good restaurant in Texarkana and waited for Deb to show.  

It's fair to say Deb was surprised. She liked her gifts (I got her a little cross for her garden). She enjoyed her meal and her cake. She wore the crown and we all put on the silly hats for a picture or two. Then, we all laughed until our sides hurt.  

As for me, I don't take these kinds of interactions for granted. Even after a year, I feel like the new kid. I have no roots with these people. It was great to be included. And after so much time of feeling alone out here, it is even better to feel wanted.   


No comments:

Post a Comment